I’m not big on the concept of generational identity but my generation—the so-called Baby Boomers—has certainly been lucky (or unlucky) enough to witness a large number of newsworthy events over the years. They include:
- The assassination of President Kennedy
- Beatlemania and the 1960s cultural revolution
- The Vietnam War
- The first moon landing
- The only presidential resignation
- The impeachment of President Clinton
- The Bush/Gore election fiasco
- The 9/11 terrorist attack on the U.S.
- The election of the nation’s first black president
As we slowly vanish from the scene, however, those of us who are still alive are glimpsing perhaps the most newsworthy event of them all: The United States of America’s descent into despotism.